Thursday, June 17, 2010

Approximately 25 Random things about me.

Updated 24 January 2011

1. I'm both a Pisces and Aquarius, having been born right on the cusp. Which I'm told explains a lot about me. It also means I can read the horoscope for both signs, although I rarely do. I don't believe in that sort of thing.

2. I once opened a fortune cookie that had 7 fortunes inside, all of them said something to the effect: you will be very successful in your career, or, new business opportunities will bring you great wealth. I'm still waiting... actually not really.

3a. I'm currently a student at the University of Alberta. Taking Elementary Education, minoring in Special Education.

3b. My last job was working for AMA (the Alberta Motor Association, the Alberta affiliate of CAA or AAA) I drove a "Battery Express" truck. I tested batteries and charging systems on peoples' cars, and if needed I sold and installed a replacement battery.

3c. With a couple of partners who are Occupational Therapists, I'm making Entertaining/Instructional videos for children, our goal is to make a series of videos that can be used either by themselves or as part of a regular behavioral program. Currently we're just developing a pilot video, we've spend several hours every week on the project with no immediate remuneration.

4. I eloped to the temple on January 2nd 2009.

5. I'm afraid of the dark, paralyzingly so. I can't enter a dark room, or walk through a dark house. When I was living in my parents basement (2 years ago) if I got home at night, I would turn on the light in the front entry, walk to the kitchen and turn on the light, go back to the front entry and turn off the light, walk through the kitchen to the basement stairs and turn on the light, turn off the light in the kitchen, walk to the bottom of the stairs and turn on the light in the basement family room, walk back up the stairs and turn off the stairs-light, walk back downstairs through the family room into the hall and turn on the light, go back to the family room turn of the light, walk back into and down the hallway, turn on the light at the far end of the hallway (which would remain on all night) then walk back and turn off the light at the other end, and go into my room, leaving the door partially open.

6. I had 3 sets of teeth. My baby teeth, I lost them and grew in a set of Adult teeth and molars. I then lost those, including the molars, and grew in another set of adult teeth and molars. I was losing teeth and growing new ones into my teens.

7. I have never broken a bone in my body, and for that matter I've never had stitches either, or any kind of wound that needed medical attention to heal.

8.the most expensive thing I have ever bought is a House, Second a new truck, the third most expensive thing was a $1200 computer.

9. I once bought a car for $75 dollars, drove it for a year and a half without having to spend anything on repairs, and then sold it for $40.

10a. Apart from my textbooks for school I'm currently reading "Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume 1." for the second time. It's good, it's like the movie with Robert Downey Jr., and NOT like the movies with Basil Rathbone.

10b. I recently read "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White. I Love It! Who would have guessed that a textbook could be so entertaining!

11. I have 20/400 vision, which means I see objects 20 feet away from me as clearly as most people see objects which are 400 feet away. In other words, without my glasses I'm quite blind.

12. My night-vision is even worse.

13. I once had a paraglider harnessed to my back, without the engine, and was tied by a rope to the back of a quad, and then I was flown like a kite, for about 2 minutes. Luckily there was about 3 feet of snow all around.

14. I have a big bin full of Lego that I don't let my kids play with. They have their own Lego.

15. I get along just fine with my Ex-wife. I barely even remember being married to her.

16. I haven't been sleeping well for the past few nights. I've been laying awake for several hours before falling asleep, Having disturbing dreams and waking-up several times during the night, and then waking up in the morning feeling quite unrested.

17. I'm 32 years old. I don't like birthdays, I prefer mine to pass unnoticed, but 31 and 32 weren't as bad as 30. My wife makes a big deal about birthdays and wants a big party, breakfast in bed, and festivities for a week.

18. My favorite book really is The Book of Mormon. I love it. I've read it several times and it never gets old.

19. I'm not nearly as thick-skinned as I seem, or as I used to be.

20. I like Woody Allen movies, haven't watched one in a very long time.

21. My Goal is to retire at fifty. So far, not likely, but I've got 18 more years, so...

22. I have no desire to visit Europe. Don't care about Paris or London, except 221 B Baker st. I'd make the trip just for that.

23. I have diagnosed myself with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, sometimes called Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. What that means is that my body thinks the proper time to sleep is from about 4am until 11am. If I'm left to sleep at my own schedule, I'll go to bed at 4 and sleep until 11am everyday, I'll wake up refreshed and wake up without an alarm clock or anything. For me to sleep and get up at a "regular" time (for example 11pm until 6am) is similar to an average person trying to go to sleep at 6pm and waking up at 1am, you could do it once or twice but to do it day after day takes it toll. I can train myself to sleep at a regular time, but it takes me about three weeks of going to bed and getting up at the same time before I don't feel like a rabid zombie, and if I stay up late ONCE, I have to start all over again. I'd go to the doctor and get a real diagnosis, but there's not much point. From the stuff I've read there's no Cure or medication that will help, and the therapy to "reprogram" your internal clock involves "light therapy", which is not really an option for me due to item #5 on this list. Also they say for most people with DSPS its easier to just get a job where you can rearrange your life around a 4am til 11am sleep schedule.

24. I currently weigh 203 lbs. I'm in the middle of a Biggest Loser Competition with a friend of mine, which I am hopelessly losing. and by losing I mean not losing weight.

25.My highest value is Trust. I would rather be trusted than loved.

No comments: